Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Back to school.. Back to school...

Last semester I decided I was done with college. Working 40 hours a week plus going to college full time was killing me. I would leave home around 6 am and get home around 8 pm.  I know tons of single moms do it but my issue was this: I only have Sophie 50% of the time. That means every other week I only see her on Wednesday and Thursday. She goes to bed around 9. That means every other week I only saw her for about 3 hours total. If I was lucky. I couldn't do it any more. Especially considering the only program I could find that I was interested in was a 5 year program. NOT counting the 2 years of stupid Gen Ed classes the community college I was attending was making me take.

So I decided to quit. I told my dad that I was done. Either I would wait to go back to college when I got married and didn't have to be the only working adult in my household, or I would just never go back. I would rather work a job that I hate than not see my daughter.

Except that I am miserably and utterly bored right now. I feel like I'm not doing anything with my life (because I'm not). As much as I love my dogs and my clients at work I want to feel like I'm DOING something. So with help from a friend and encouragement from my dad I found a 2 year program that will put my right into the field that I want. I really like the schedule my new school runs on too because rather than have 4 classes a semester they have 12 week "quarters" that focus on three classes at a time. The only thing that sucks is that class is once a week for four hours. But it kind of works out for my work schedule. I'll take what I can online and then for everything else I'll be struggling to stay awake for 4 hours :) My last quarter includes an intership at a local hospital and the school has a 100% employment rate for their Medical Assisting program so I'm pretty excited. Classes start next month. So basically me quitting college turned into me taking the summer off (which I always do anyway).

No comments :

Post a Comment